Paired with our Pinot Noir, Bacigalupi Vineyard, 2020
Thank you chef Jamil Peden and the staff at Relish for this recipe.
- All-purpose flour for dusting
- Puff pastry (frozen, store bought - 2 sheets)
- 3 large red onions
- sprig of tyme
- 1 winter squash, peeled and sliced 1/2 inch slices
- 2-3 strips bacon, preferable wood-smoked, chopped
- 2 lbs Maitake mushrooms, if not available use your favorite
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Heat the bacon in a large frypan, add the onions, sliced squash, and thyme and gently cook for 20 minutes, or until softened. Add in mushrooms and cook gently until soft. Remove from the heat, season with salt to taste and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425˚F, Unroll the pastry and place on a nonstick baking sheet. Define a border by scoring, with a sharp knife, 1/2 inch boarder around the perimeter of the dough. Prick the base all over with a fork. Try not to pierce the dough.
Spread half the mushrooms on the base up to the edges and top with the onions, mushroom mixture. Bake for 20 minutes.
Top with grated Parmesan and a little sea salt (optional)